Town of Geneva Park Commission
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Geneva Town Hall
N3496 Como Rd., Lake Geneva, WI 53147
1. Chair John Packard called the meeting to order at 6:35.
A. John asked Sonja if the meeting was duly posted.
B. Sonja replied that is was.
2. Roll call was taken. In attendance were Dominick Bierdek, Sonja Schlesner, Audrey Green, Mike Sarton and John Packard.
3. Agenda approval
A. Audrey made a motion to approve the agenda.
B. Mike seconded the motion. Passed 5-0
4. Approval of minutes: September 4, 2008
A. Mike made a motion to approve the minutes.
B. Dominick seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.
5. Public Comment
6. Old Business:
A. 2009 Budget, New Funds
1) John attended the Town Board meeting and gave an update as to the fact that they approved the budget as submitted with the exception that there was now $3,000 freed up due to the damn bridge completion. It was suggested to move $1,000 to the land acquisition fund and $2,000 to the West End boardwalk.
2) Mike moved to approve the new budget.
3) Audrey seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.
4) John stated that 2009 budget was on the agenda for the next meeting.
B. DLNT Trail Marker Approval (4 markers)
1) Sonja presented the four markers she generated for approval to submit to the Signs of the Times for creation.
2) John moved to approve markers number 3,4,10 and 12.
3) Mike seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.
C. Roeker Footbridge, progress
1) Dominick said that Scott need $500 down to start the project and that Scott would be at tonight’s meeting..
2) John suggested we save any further discussion for when Scott arrives.
D. Garlic Mustard Fest
1) John did not hear back from any of his leads regarding Commissioner replacement.
2) Audrey asked if Terri resigned.
3) John informed her that yes, she had resigned. And thus the commission needed a new coordinator and we were hoping with some new blood we would get a potential coordinator.
4) Sonja also explained about the administrator position for which she had a applied and that it would mean an additional member would be needed to replace her if she got the position.
5) John stated that the Park Commission members were going to be reappointed at the next Town Board meeting.
6) Audrey asked if there was some way to pull the Garlic Mustard educational components in with the Earth Day Celebration.
7) Sonja suggested a volunteer sign-up sheet.
8) John asked what the enticement would be for volunteers to sign up.
9) Audrey suggested that we just make it a forum for educating.
10) Mike mentioned there are other invasives we could educate about like Buckthorn.
11) John said in summary that thus far we keep the Garlic Mustard under the umbrella of Earth Day as an educational forum; that we have the Master Gardener’s Day for picking garlic mustard and we give out cookbooks.
12) Sonja asked about the possibility of pairing a group of volunteers with a Master Gardener as an educational experience as incentive to get volunteers out picking the Garlic Mustard.
13) Mike asked if we needed a motion.
14) John said no, but one person on the Earth Day committee should focus on the Garlic Mustard education aspect
15) Audrey said that Chrissy might be able to attend
16) John asked if there were any further thoughts before moving on.
E. Man Hour Log
1) Sonja passed the log around for people to fill in with their volunteer hours.
[Scott arrives] Revisit Item 6.C.
1) John updated everyone that the Town Board had approved the bridge bid and that he would talk to the Town Board at the next meeting in regard to a check.
2) John asked if there were any questions for Scott or if Scott had any questions for us.
3) Scott requested that two members visit the site when done to approve the bridge work.
4) Sonja said that pictures were required to be submitted to the DNR when the bridge was completed so visiting the bridge would be necessary anyway.
F. Buckthorn Removal Bids Review
1) John passed the two bids around that were received from the newspaper request for bids as advertised in the Lake Geneva Regional News.
2) Discussion ensued about the two bids received.
3) John asked if he would need to go out with Nancy Welsch to approve the permit.
4) Audrey stated that we were no longer in our district.
5) Audrey asked if there was anything near water.
6) John stated that there were several areas.
7) Sonja asked if Dominick could rework his bid so that we could look at comparable time and material allowance.
8) Dominick said it wouldn’t really be fair for him to rework his bid since he had seen these bids.
9) Audrey said we’re not asking him to change or rework his numbers, just show us the numbers for the same number of men and hours that the other bids expressed.
10) John stated that Dominick’s bid was submitted before the ad was published and that he should have a chance to bid on the job according to the request for bid and that he would email him the text of the ad and to have the adjustments ready by Monday’s Town Board meeting.
11) John and Dominick agreed to meet the following Wednesday to mark the trees to be removed.
12) There were several unclear items in each of the submitted bids and John agreed to contact each one successively to obtain clarification:
a. R & D needed to be contacted about off-site disposal, if travel time was included in bid hours and liability contact.
b. Endeavor needed to inform us on the costs of additional labor, permit information, clarification of “estimated costs” as stated in the bid and inclusion of travel time.
13) John stated that due to the unclear parameters in the bids that the Commission is unable to make a recommendation at this time.
7. New Business
7. Directive to Town Board Attendees on Mon. Dec. 9th meeting date.
A. Re-approval of Park Commission members
B. 2009 Budget Adjustments due to Bridge Construction
C. Buckthorn Bid
8. Confirm next meeting date
A. January 8, 2009, 6:30pm at the Town of Geneva Town Hall
9. Report by Park Commission Chair: Packard
A. Who is going to the Christmas Party?
B. We need to beat the bushes for new members.
A. Audrey moved to adjourn at 7:23.
B. Mike seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.