Town of Geneva Park Commission
Thursday, January 3, 2008
Geneva Town Hall
N3496 Como Rd., Lake Geneva, WI 53147
1. Chair John Packard called the meeting to order at 6:32.
A. John asked Sonja if the meeting was duly posted.
B. Sonja replied that is was.
2. Roll call was taken. In attendance were Audrey Greene, Sonja Schlesner, Theresa Sundberg, Dominick Bierdek and John Packard. Penny Wagner was ill.
3. Agenda approval
A. Audrey made a motion to approve the amended agenda.
B. Dominick seconded the motion. Passed 5-0
4. Minutes approval for December 13 meeting
A. Audrey made a motion to approve the December 13 minutes.
B. John seconded the motion. Passed 4-0 Abs. 1
5. Old Business:
A. 2008 Proposed Budget
1) John Handed out formal copy of 2008 Park Commission Proposed Budget Items
2) John went down list (see attached document)
3) On item number 1, “ Duck Lake Nature Trail: Exotic species control,” John asked Dominick if what he thought one day of exotic removal should cost. $3000.00 was suggested.
4) John thought $2000.00 to $4000.00 would be the minimum investment we could use for low maintenance native vegetation to reduce the sterile look of Charlotte Peterson Park, Item number 2.
5) On item number 3, “Dunbar Cemetery Maintenance: Weed 3 times, Drought Water 3 times, mulch and repair stones,” Dominick thought that $500.00 was light.
6) On item number 4, “Bridge Across Dam Replacement,” Terri asked about the bridge condition.
7) John described the dilapidated condition of the bridge.
8) On item number 5, “Garlic Mustard.” Terri thought that $250.00 was okay.
9) On item number 6, “Earth Day Festival,” Sonja thought the initial $500.00 was adequate.
10) On item number 8, “Land Acquisition Fund,” Dominick thought we should request an increase in funds for specifically this use, as most land purchases would be out of our current financial range.
11) Audrey brought to our attention that we had provided a budget for funds designated and unused for 2007 and previous years, but we needed to account for fund usage in this coming year.
12) Sonja suggested that any amounts that remained unused in the current budget, in other words, by be resourceful in planning, any remaining amounts at year end be used for the Land Acquisition Fund.
13) Terri asked about item number 7, “Signs along the Duck Lake Nature Trail,” and Sonja explained that ideally the signs would be paid for by the Wal-Mart grant.
14) Audrey suggested reducing item number 4 and placing $300.00 in number 7, just to be certain we have the funds allocated.
15) After discussion Terri summarized that item number 4 would be $1500.00 and item number 1 would be $3000.00.
16) 2007 and previous years funds were noted at $8600.00 and 2008 at $6000.00
17) Terri suggested we increase item number 1 to $5000.00 and do two days under the same permit to save money.
18) Dominick suggested $4500.00 for the two days.
19) Terri believed we should leave item number 1 at $5000.00.
20) In light of additional funds Sonja requested an increase in the Earth Day fund, as this was its initial planning year and may require additional funds.
21) Terri mentioned there was $9000.00 for the three major items.
22) John asked if we should do $1000.00 for Earth Day and $3000.00 for the Land Acquisition Fund or $2000.00/$2000.00.
23) John mentioned that most bands require some type of fiscal reimbursement for their services.
24) After brief discussion John decided 50/50 split on items number 6 and 8.
25) Audrey suggested a good time to use money from the Land Acquisition Fund would be at a tax foreclosure.
26) John suggested we leave the remaining unbudgeted $600.00 in a miscellaneous fund and asked when the next Town Board meeting was scheduled.
27) Sonja informed the Commission the next Town Board meeting was scheduled for January 14th.
28) John suggested Terri email everyone a final budget.
29) Audrey made a motion to approve the 2008 budget.
30) Terri seconded the motion. Passed 4-0, Abs. 1 (Dominick)
B. Wal-Mart Grant
1) Sonja updated the Commission stating a draft had been composed for the grant and that Penny was to get back to her about costs and pictures.
2) Sonja also stated she would email a copy of the draft thus far.
C. By-Laws Draft with revisions submitted by Dan Lauderdale
1) Item III. b. “property owners” excludes potential members.
2) Audrey suggested we use, “property owners and/or residents.”
3) The commission agreed.
4) Audrey moved to approve the amended draft to be submitted to the town attorney.
5) Dominick seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.
D. Earth Day Fundraiser Committee briefing
1) Sonja named member of the committee.
2) Sonja finalized the date, time and location of the event.
3) Sonja summarized the activities.
4) Terri asked how this was going to fit into Garlic Mustard Fest.
5) Discussion ensued in regard to a date change.
6) Terri thought that May 3 would be good for the master gardeners and that April 19th would be suitable for the Garlic Mustard Fest.
E. Sojka Land Acquisition for Town, Meeting Schedule with Fay Emerson as followed up by Packard
1) John talked to Faye Emmerson and Ferris Hansen.
2) Conversion with Faye Emmerson on 1/2/08 at 3:30 pm resulted in the following:
i. Should have been owned by a Home Owners Association undivided
ii. Faye has as built/ can’t locate
iii. Farris Hansen was certified as built with some modification
iv. Municipality won only if in on yet, don’t own/ get case
v. Holding pond should have the following:
1. Solid embankment
2. Anit-seep Collar
3. Discharge only after 3.62” of rainfall for 24 hours
vi. If town has confidence in it then maybe we should acquire it
vii. We should be aware that open water = liability
viii. Access should not cross private property
ix. Town should tax Home Owners Association to maintain
x. Excess material stored there and transition project
xi. Worst case: soil contamination requiring DNR and Town involvement.
xii. How is this attached to Home Owners’ Association?
3) Conversation with Farris Hansen 723-2098 was referred to Warren Hansen and proceeded as follows:
i. Supposed to be non-maintenance
ii. It is sealed and blanketed
iii. Seeded with Kentucky Bluegrass
iv. Flat bottomed
v. Temporary basin for water
vi. There was a Home Owners’ Association created.
vii. Believe most of the town doesn’t want to own
viii. Low maintenance in general.
ix. Towns don’t want these.
x. Home Owners’ Association holds the deeds and title to the land.
4) John believed that we need to suggest an action in regard to this basin even if we do not acquire it, as if future problems arise and there is a need for taxation of the Home Owners’ Association, we need to think ahead to future problems and plan accordingly though taxation.
5) We need to view the plan in conjunction with a visit to recommend future action.
6) Terri so not advantage to acquiring the land.
7) John clarified that it was an important part of the Lake Como watershed.
8) Dominick and Audrey held a brief discussion about the Deer Crossing Homeowners Association.
9) Audrey believed the Town needs to be aware of what’s involved in this green space.
10) John believed that we need to address this issue now before problems arise in future.
11) John said he would acquire a copy of the plat and as built design from Warren Hansen.
12) John suggested it would be best to meet with Faye in March or April for more climate viewing.
13) John thought that the new designs were better developed.
14) Dominick commented on the outcome with Faye.
15) John agreed to meet and talk to Warren.
F. Responses for Park Commission seat (if any)
1) Sonja said she had received four contacts from Dan Lauderdale.
2) Two were contacted by email, one declined, the other did not respond.
3) Two were contacted by phone, no response from either.
4) John and Audrey suggested another follow-up due to the holidays.
6. New Business:
A. Review Walworth County Map for recommendation on Green Spaces for Smart Growth Recommendations to Town Board
1) Sonja explained that Dan Lauderdale said that the Town Board declined to participate in the County Smart Growth plan.
2) John asked exactly what Smart Growth was.
3) Sonja stated her knowledge of the issue and agreed to email links.
4) Audrey stated her knowledge of the issue and agreed to email links.
5) Audrey described the excellent SEWRPC reports and how it would really be wise for the Town to be involved in Smart Growth.
6) Audrey made a motion to table the issue until we were better informed.
7) Dominick seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.
7. Directive to Town Board Attendees
A. Terri would be in attendance to read the proposed budget. John, Sonja and maybe Audrey would also be in attendance.
8. Confirm next meeting date: February 7, 2008, 6:30 pm Town of Geneva Hall.
9. Park Commission Chair Report:
A. Larry Coulic would be getting the commission the 1937 photos and originals for the Duck Lake Nature Trail adjoining path.
B. After we view the design, we can approach the DNR about extension.
A. Sonja made a motion to adjourn.
B. Seconded by Audrey. Passed 5-0 a