Town of Geneva Park Commission
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Geneva Town Hall
N3496 Como Rd., Lake Geneva, WI 53147
1. Chair John Packard called the meeting to order at 6:30.
A. John stated that the meeting was duly posted.
2. Roll call was taken. In attendance were Audrey Greene, Mike Sarton, Dominick Bierdek, Theresa Sundberg, and John Packard. Sonja Schlesner and Penny Wagner were excused.
3. Agenda approval
A. Terry/Mike made a motion to approve the agenda. Passed 5-0
4. There were no minutes from the April meeting available to approve
5. Public Comment: none
6. Old Business:
A. Sojka Land Acquistition meeting with Fay Amerson
1) John & Sonja met with Fay Amerson April 30, 2008 at 8am
2) John explained that Fay did not like:
a. That the pond was also on an adjoining neighbors lot
b. That there was sediment building up
c. That the spillway for a 20 year rain event is partly obstructed
However, Fay does believe that Towns should own these stormwater ponds. Fay said that the Town has 2 choices.
1. Accept the donation with condition such as taxes paid and a survey for sediment
2. Decline the donation and have the homeowners association take responsibility for maintenance of the stormwater pond.
A discussion took place concerning the park value of the property.
3) A motion (John/Audrey) was made a motion to decline the donation based on the fact that there is no park value in the property. Motion passed 5-0
Mike left meeting at 7pm
B. Garlic Mustard Fest
1) Terry and Dominick will be food judges.
2) Discussed various methods of garlic mustard control.
3) John inquired about a rain date. Terry would rather not have a rain date
4) Terry let us know that the Master Gardeners will be coming on May 10 & May 24 to pull garlic mustard on the Roeker Trail. From 9- 11am
5) Terry is concerned about the amount of trash on the east end of the trail. It was decided that a raffle ticket would be given for a bag of garlic mustard or a bag of trash.
C. Rocker Bridge bid solicitation
1) John talked to two carpenters, one was not interested, the other has not responded.
2) A motion (Terry/Dominick) was made to table this issue until the June meeting. Motion passed 4-0
D. Sign Thank you letter to Wal-Mart
1) A members present did sign the letter.
E. Trail Marker Donation
1) Penny was not present
2) A motion (John/Audrey) was made to table this item
Motion passed 4-0
F. Como Junkyard & Land Acquisition Update
1) John attended the last Green Team meeting and explained that Brian H. of Liesch Environmental gave the presentation. There was a lot of public discussion. Phase I was a records review. The next step (Phase II), if the Town decides to proceed, will be an assessment of the land to determine the degree of contamination. Phase II would cost $1800.
Attorney Harvey has had some concerns about liability
The Town tabled the issue until the July meeting.
8. New Business
A. Memorial for Frank McKee Jr.
1) John explained that Frank, a long time member of the Park
Commission passed away.
2) John read us a nice memorial called Memories of Frank McKee.
3) John would like to plant a tree in Frank’s memory
4) A motion (John/Audrey) was made to plant a tree in Frank McKee’s
memory as soon as money becomes available. Motion passed 4-0
9. Earth Day Reschedule
A. The April 26 Earth Day Celebration was cancelled due to high winds. All
participants and vendors voted to reschedule.
B. One vendor (tent) has requested to be paid ½ of regular fee ($60.00) because they did set up the tent and take it down. A motion (Audrey/Terry) was made to pay the tent vendor $60.00 for his services on April 26. Motion passed 4-0
C. A motion (John/Audrey) was made to call a special Park Commission meeting for May 15, 2008 at 6:30 to discuss the reschedule date for the Earth Day Celebration. Motion passed 4-0
D. Audrey will write and send to Town Clerk the agenda for May 15.
10 Next Town Board meeting will be on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 7pm
A John will attend to discuss the following:
a. Frank McKee Memorial
b. Garlic Mustard Fest
c. Sojka Land Acquisition recommendation
d. Earth Day Celebratiohn
10. Next Regular Park Commission Meeting Date: June 5, 2008 at 6:30pm.
A. A motion (Audrey/Terry) made a motion to adjourn. Motion passed 4-0