Town of Geneva Park Commission
Special Meeting, Land Acquisition
Wednesday, November 6, 2008
Geneva Town Hall
N3496 Como Rd., Lake Geneva, WI 53147
1. Chair John Packard called the meeting to order at 6:40.
A. John asked Sonja if the meeting was duly posted.
B. Sonja replied that is was.
2. Roll call was taken. In attendance were Dominick Bierdek, Sonja Schlesner, Penny Wagner, Mike Sarton and John Packard.
3. Agenda approval
A. Mike made a motion to approve the agenda.
B. John seconded the motion. Passed 5-0
4. Approval of minutes: September 4, 2008
A. Terri made a motion to approve the minutes.
B. John seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.
5. Public Comment
6. Old Business:
A. 2009 Budget, New Funds
1) John read email from Terri stating the additional $2,500 for parks, the $8,500 for Charlotte Peterson Park and the $3,000, give or take from the Summer Fun Fest, however, we were warned that we were not to assume the total amount.
2) Reviewed DLNT budget from last meeting’s minutes.
3) Reviewed Parks budget from last meeting’s minutes.
4) John stated that the $8,500 was from the Brownsville Grant
5) The new 2009 Parks Budget was stated as follows:
a. $3,000 for Charlotte Peterson Park
b. $1,000 for Earth Day
c. $3,000 for Dam Bridge
d. $1,000 for Queen Rd. Land Acquisition Exotic Management
6) Mike asked if there was proto-call for moving moneys between Park Funds.
7) The general consensus was that we have the authority to do so since we are the Commission Members and that the separation of the Parks from the DLNT was just a way to divide funds in the books.
8) The new 2009 DLNT budget was outlined as follows:
a. $1,000 for the Roeker Bridge
b. $250 for Garlic Mustard Fest
c. $750 for the West End Boardwalk
d. $2,500 for Buckthorn Removal
e. $1,500 or remainder for Land Acquisition
9) There was some general discussion as to the requirements that would need to be met for the West End Boardwalk
10) Sonja moved to approve the 2009 budget as stated.
11) Mike seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.
B. DLNT Trail Marker Prototype Viewing, if available
1) John asked about the check that needed to be cut.
2) Sonja explained the requested amount by Signs of the Times.
3) John also mentioned Deb’s question on the ink cartridge bill.
4) Sonja reminded the Commission that that was budgeted for in the Wal-mart grant
C. DLNT Work Date for Setting Cement Markers, any last comment?
1) John stated that he had sunk the markers in the cement tonight.
2) When we get to the trail we are to divide into three groups and conquer. Onegroup from the west end to the east, one from Marshall Ln. East and one from Marshall Ln. West.
3) Other equipment that may be needed is an extra pick-axe and a post hole digger.
D. Roeker Footbridge, further discussion [Permit exp. 2/11/09]
1) Dominick stated that Scott adjusted the bid to meet our budget with the removal of the hand rails, the Commission setting the posts and shortening the bridge by 2 feet.
E. Design of Spillway Footbridge Town Board Response
1) John relayed the information to the Town Board and they had no interest in a 5-figure project.
2) Dominick asked if there have been any formal evaluations of the dam conditions.
3) John stated that the Lake Committee and the Hwy Dept were dealing with that issue.
4) There was some further discussion about bridge options and about the future greenspace in the dump.
7. New Business
A. Garlic Mustard Fest
1) John stated that this had historically been Terri’s project and that he would like to see it continue and asked if there was anyone interested in coordinating the event.
2) Sonja said she would be interested but she believes her plate to already be full with the Earth Day event.
3) John also said that it was unfortunately always plagued with bad weather and suggested we revisit this issue next month when we have some new blood.
4) Mike suggested we just get a group together to do the pulling.
5) John stated that Terri has usually organized the Master Gardeners to go out and pull, as they need a certain number of volunteer hours.
6) John made a motion to postpone until our next meeting.
7) Mike seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.
B. Earth Day Celebration
1) Sonja read the letter to the Lakes Area Rental with the hopes of getting either a tent or stage donation, since they require early contacting.
2) The Commission thought the letter was fine.
3) John suggested she organize a committee after the New Year.
C. Man Hour Log
1) Sonja presented the Man-Hour Log she created to track work done by the Commission for future grant matching.
2) She passed the log around so everyone could fill in their time.
8. Directive to Town Board Attendees on Mon. Nov. 10th meeting date.
A. Buckthorn Removal
B. Roeker Bridge Bid..
C. 2009 Budget.
9. Confirm next meeting date
A. December 4, 2008, 6:30pm at the Town of Geneva Town Hall
10. Report by Park Commission Chair: Packard
A. Received tree survey and needs a volunteer to fill it out, suggested Dominick since he is our tree expert.
B. John informed the Commission that his 7-year will expire in December. He will step down at the Annual Meeting in February and will use the time off to work on the DLNT guide.
A. Mike moved to adjourn at 8:02
B. Dominick seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.