Town of Geneva Park Commission
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Geneva Town Hall
N3496 Como Rd., Lake Geneva, WI 53147
1. Chair John Packard called the meeting to order at 6:40.
A. John asked if the meeting was duly posted.
B. Dominick replied that is was.
2. Roll call was taken. In attendance were Audrey Green, Mike Sarton and John Packard, Penny Wagner and Dominick Bierdek.
3. Agenda approval
A. It was requested to add Queen Road into the agenda under New Business.
A. Mike made a motion to approve the revised agenda.
B. Dominick seconded the motion. Passed 5-0
4. Approval of minutes: January 8, 2008
A. John noted the date needed to be changed to January 8 for minutes approval.
B. Audrey made a motion to approve the minutes.
C. Mike seconded the motion. Passed 5-0.
5. Public Comment [Sonja Arrives]
A. Margaret Downing and Dan Lauderdale were in attendance.
B. Margaret has two comments:
1) There is now a mailbox named “Parks” on the back shelf for communications.
2) She would like the Commission to pursue the implementation of welcome signs into the town.
C. Dan updated the Commission of the progress of the junk yard:
1) 20 x 40 ft. parcel owned by the town adjacent to the Perez Junkyard, West of Perez (showed plats).
2) Platted road and adjacent parcel acquired in 1996
3) Margaret and Dan met with Perez to find out what he wanted for his property.
4) Perez asked for $100,000.
5) John asked if it was an operating junkyard.
6) Dan stated that is was, but that the other property has had its conditional use pulled.
7) Margaret informed the Commission that the Town could condemn it and take it.
8) Dan mentioned there is a raize order against one decrepit building on the property and that they thought $25,000 would be a fair price.
9) Audrey thought that would be a gift to the property owner since the land is contaminated.
10) Mike pointed out that this was a liability.
11) Further discussion continued in regard to the property and clean-up.
C. Dan also updated the Commission on the Queen Rd. property, that the 5 lots had not yet been officially acquired, but that the Town is in the process.
6. Old Business:
A. Duck Lake Nature Trail, Trail Marker Approval
1) Sonja passed around the two trail markers that were revised from the previous meeting.
2) Audrey made a motion to approve the revised trail markers.
3) Mike seconded the motion. Passed 6-0.
B. New Member Introductions
1) Lynn Wesolek, in attendance
a) Avid volunteer and member of the community, living on the south side of the lake, here for 6 ½ years.
b) Retired 2 years ago and volunteers with the food pantry, school and elections
c) Worked at Columbia St. Mary.
2) Dawn Schiefelbein, in attendance
a) Concerned with the shoreline and dog walking, also asked if there was testing done on the water on Quail.
b) She is a receptionist, administration, clerical
3) John gave them information about the Commission and the projects that they are currently involved in.
4) The Commission went around and offered a brief bio of themselves.
5) John asked if they had any questions of the board.
6) Lynn and Dawn both said they were interested in joining.
7) Sonja made a motion to approve both new members.
8) Audrey seconded the motion. Passed 6-0.
C. Buckthorn Removal Specifications Revisions
1) John updated the Commission on the bids and the bid responses.
2) The Commission was informed that there may be funding available for exotic removal and that they must apply at the state and local level this summer.
3) Wisconsin does not currently have a fund, MN does and WI is looking into it.
4) Dan asked the Commission what was budgeted for buckthorn removal: 2009: $2,500 plus the 2008 carry-over: $5,000.
5) Audrey suggested that the DNR may be able to assist them in the grant writing.
6) Discussion ensued as the what to do with past year’s funds and how to approach removal with the prospect of grants in the picture.
7) Margaret informed the Commission that 2009 grant money may not be seen until 2010.
8) Mike suggested we continue to do something every year.
9) John made a motion to moved forward with buckthorn removal as planned.
10) Audrey seconded the motion. Passed 5-0. 1 Abstention (Dom)..
D. Man Hour Log
1) Sonja passed the log around for people to fill in with their volunteer hours.
F. Earth Day Committee
1) Sonja explained to the Commission that due to extenuating family circumstances, she has moved and must resign from the Commission.
2) John said he suspected this might happen and agreed to retain his post.
4) Sonja explained that she would not be able to maintain her position as acting Earth Day coordinator and asked if anyone was interested in the post.
5) New member, Lynn Wesolek graciously stepped forward and offered her services.
6) John asked if there were existing Park Commission members that would be willing to work with and guide Lynn.
7) Dominick and Mike offered their assistance.
7. New Business
A. Elections—Annual Meeting
1) John made a motion to postpone elections until new members have been confirmed.
2) Audrey seconded the motion. Passed 6-0.
B. Queen Road
1) The Commission agreed a committee would need to be formed, but that that would be postponed until March when the land was acquired.
2) John made a motion to postpone committee formation until acquisition of land.
3) Audrey seconded the motion. Passed 6-0.
7. Directive to Town Board Attendees on Mon. Jan 12th meeting date.
A. Buckthorn Bid Removal Specifications
B. New Members
8. Confirm next meeting date
A. March 5, 2009, 6:30pm at the Town of Geneva Town Hall
9. Report by Park Commission Chair: Packard--skip.
A. Audrey moved to adjourn at 8:02.
B. Mike seconded the motion. Passed 6-0.