Town of Geneva Park Commission
Thursday, July 7, 2011
Geneva Town Hall
N3496 Como Road, Lake Geneva, WI 53147
1. John Packard called the meeting to order at 6:35p.m.
A. Meeting was duly posted.
2. Roll call:
A. In attendance were John Packard, Mike Sarton, Dawn Schiefelbein, Penny Wagner, Lynn Wesolek, John DeBaere and Alice Winn.
B. Also in attendance were Bill Andrew and Merle Lomer.
3. Agenda Approval:
A. John P. moves to approve the agenda. Mike seconds the motion. Motion carries . 6-0-1.
4. Approval of Minutes
A. June 2, 2011 - Lynn moves to accept the minutes.
Mike seconds the motion. Carries 6-0-1.
B. June 14 – Korona & Charlotte Peterson Park Workday minutes.
Lynn moves to approve the minutes. Mike seconds.
5. Public Comment
A. Bill Andrew is keeping the area near the DLNT sign.
He can talk to Randy Parker about taking care of that area.
6. Old Business:
A. Man hour log was passed around to members to fill in their volunteer hours.
B. Korona Park Plans
1) Fay Amerson and Nancy Welsh met with John P. to discuss our next step for the park. Our permit is valid thru Jan. 2012. The process of rezoning the land as a park or obtaining a Conditional use Permit from the County was discussed. Rezoning would require a SEWRPC plan and since this a very difficult thing to accomplish, we won’t be rezoning the area as a park. John P. will go the Plan Commission regarding this.
2) The stream was determined not to be navigable. Structures such as tables, benches, signs, bank remediation, bridge, use of 120x 100ft. area is allowed as this is not considered shoreland. There needs to be a 25ft. setback and a 25ft right-of-way plus 10ft. on the side. SEWRPC will do a wetland determination. John P. wrote a letter for formal wetland determination and will give to Deb Kirsch for final copy.
3) We will be doing weed control and then spraying this fall for Mustard.
4) John D. did some more cleanup of the park and cut back weeds a little farther. He suggests we cut down where the bridge is planned to go and make open areas.
5) John P. can call Mary VanLue, the Plan Commission Secretary, to get our plans on their agenda. Merle said he would do this. Merle said this needs to go to the Town Board and then the County agenda and could take 3 months.
6) Dawn mentioned that an LCBPOA Board member asked if the property belonged to the Town. Dawn will ask Deb for a copy of the deed or proof of ownership for documentation.
1) Dawn obtained a quote from Signs of the Times and showed the workup of the placard design.
2) John moves to table this item till Aug. Agenda. Dawn seconds. Carries 7-0-0
3) Dawn will email the members a copy of the placard designs.
1) Plans include planting of 3 trees in the fall, mulching and adding perennials under the trees.
2) John P. obtained 3 quotes for the trees for us to compare.
3) John P. moves to table this item till August meeting. John D. seconds. Carries 7-0-0
4) Mike prefers the single stem Ironwood. John P. says we can mix’n’match the trees.
E. Treasurer’s Report –
1) Merle and Lynn found out that the park Commission’s Grand Total is $27,670.00 which is $6,00 budgeted for 2011 and $21,670.00 non-lapsing fund.
2) John P. moves to accept the Treasurer’s report. Alice seconds. Carries 7-0-0.
7. New Business:
A. Land Disturbance at Korona Park already discussed.
B. Tree City USA
1) John P. received packet and gave it to Alice for review.
C. Federal Recreational Trails application for DLNT
1) Application needed more information than what was submitted with no time to obtain further information to meet deadline.
2) Will fill out another application for 2012.
D. Urban Forestry Grant program
1) Dawn sent in Intent to Apply an waiting for approval.
E. Stewardship Local Park Grant Application
1) Lynn will do this and send in before July 15.
F. Penny Wagner reappointment.
1) Penny is up for reappointment after serving on the Town’s Park Board for 7 years
2) Lynn suggested that because Penny lives out of state, that she be our DLNT advocate and inform us of the trail’s condition via email instead of coming out here for our monthly meetings.
3) Lynn moves to have Penny be our DLNT advocate. Alice seconds. Carries 7-0-0
4) Penny reports that the trail needs to be mowed and some trees are down. She also talked about keeping dogs on a leash while on the trail. Merle will report on the signage and the ordinance at the next meeting.
8. Directive to Town Board
A. No directive this month.
9. Confirm next meeting date: Aug. 4, 2011 at 6:30p.m.
10. Report by Park Commission Chair: John Packard
11. Meeting Adjournment
A. Lynn moves to adjourn the meeting at 7:30.
B. Mike seconds the motion. Carries 7-0-0.