Town of Geneva Park Commission
Thursday, November 3, 2011
Geneva Town Hall
N3496 Como Road, Lake Geneva, WI 53147
1. John Packard called the meeting to order at 6:00p.m.
A. Meeting was duly posted.
2. Roll call:
A. In attendance were John Packard, Mike Sarton, Dawn Schiefelbein, Alice Winn, Lynn Wesolek and John DeBaere. Also in attendance was Merle Lomer.
3. Agenda Approval:
A. Mike moves to approve the agenda. Lynn seconds the motion. Motion carries. 5-0-0.
4. Approval of Minutes: John P. moves to accept the minutes Lynn 2nds. Carries 5-0-1
A. With change on Item 7 to show that John P. moved to accept Bill Andrew as replacement for Penny Wagner on the Park Board. Lynn 2nds. Carries 5-0-0.
5. Public Comment
6. Old Business:
A. Man hour log was passed around to members to fill in their volunteer hours to include Workdays at Charlotte Peterson Park on Sept. 8 and Duck Lake Nature Trail on October 23.
B. Korona Park Plans
1) SWERPC marked the wetlands at Korona Park on Sept. 22 and made a plant list. 46 plants were not native with 1 acre of fresh wet meadow.
2) Letter from SWERPC to be scanned for the record.
3) Doug Olson did the survey. There is no sense in doing a Wetland Delineation at this point.
4) We can show the County what SWERPC determined and find out if we can make improvements. We can’t use gravel in the creek, but we can move existing rock to redefine the stream. John P. will call Fay Amerson for a meeting to discuss.
5) John D. says he cut the grass for the last time.
1) Placards were installed on the October 23rd workday.
2) Someone mentioned that we put mile markers up. The trail is only 2 miles long so the Board is taking that under advisement.
3) The repaired bridge is holding up nicely.
4) Found a good spot along the trail to put a bench. Possible that Rich W. could build one for us.
1) Mulching is done and perennials are planted.
2) Tree removal can be scheduled for this winter. Maybe Randy Parker can be doing that.
3.) More flowers can be planted in the spring.
E. Tree City USA
1) We would not have been able to obtain the information they needed in order for us to meet their deadline.
2) We understand that we may need to update our current Tree Ordinance in order to comply with Tree City requirements.
3) We can do more investigating into other towns doing this and try to get information for next year when we will revisit this.
4) John D. moves that we do not proceed with the Tree City USA application. John D. seconds. Carries 6-0-0
F. Downing’s Donation sign
1) Mr. Joe Kowalski made up several samples for us to choose from.
2) John P moves to accept the sign costing $26.25 complete.
3) Alice seconds. Carries
4) Sign will be installed in the upper right corner of the Town’s ‘welcome’ sign at the NW corner of Charlotte Peterson Park.
7. New Business:
A. Treasurers Report
1.) $21,610 in the non-lapsing report. Will have full report for Dec. meeting
2) John P moves to accept the Treasurer’s report. Mike seconds. Carries 6-0-0
B. Tree dedication to the late Bill Andrew
1) Would like to plant tree in Bill’s honor
2) We could plant on of his favorites, dedicate one he already planted, or dedicate one from the LCPPOA with commemorative brick to go along the lakeshore.
3) Lynn will talk to Judy to find out what she would recommend and we will discuss at next meeting.
C. 2012 Preliminary Budget Request
1) John requested the same amount we did last year being $3,000 for the DLNT and $3,000 to be used on our other parks. Lynn seconds. Carries 6-0-0
8. Directive to Town Board
A. Nothing this time.
9. Confirm next meeting date December 1, 2011 at 6:00p.m.
10. Report by Park Commission Chair: John Packard
11. Meeting Adjournment: Alice moves to adjourn the meeting at 6:42. John P seconds. Carries 5-0-0.